Friday, June 19, 2009

Jennifer Sosik 2009 Surtex Show




I have returned from the 2009 Surtex Show at Jacob Javitz Center in New York City with fresh ideas and influences swimming through my conscience. Among the usual homages to Christmas and other holidays, I noticed what seemed to be a fairly consistent flashback to the art deco and hippie era. I noticed many booths with representations of retro patterns with that peculiar sense of shape and color. There were also owls depicted with the use of quirky shapes, the subject matter and design style both being a flashback to a previous era. I was particularly attracted to a drawing of flowers in a row, which utilized retro shapes for the flower heads or buds. What a fun feeling these evoked! Their simplicity of form betrayed the quality and depth of attention to design and allowed the viewer to be invited in and enjoy the playful patterns. Another trend that infused the Surtex Show this year was the representation of fashion in its many forms.




Most notable were images of fashionable women’s’ shoes, typically a high heeled, eveningwear style. As I studied the booths, it was also fun to absorb the differences in application style from one artist to the next. There were more painterly renditions to pieces that had a fuzzy, childlike feel to very digitally composed works. My work fits into this puzzle being painterly in application, yet up to date with the current market in its subject matter. This approach provides a unique and genuine venue for application in the marketing world. Let’s see where my paintbrush and the new influences from Surtexand the market take me next!

No comments:

Post a Comment